Hiccup is a very normal phenomenon. A hiccup is a sudden, involuntary contraction (spasm) of the diaphragm muscle. Most people have experienced at least a few times. It normally causes you no harm except for a bit tiredness feeling. However, it will be quite inconvenient if hiccups happen when you are at in a conference, seminar or having dinner with important partners.
For such emergency cases like that, some simple tips for hiccups treatment below will be very helpful.
1. Treatment for yourself:
- Have a glass of warm water, drink small sips continuously until your hiccups reduce and vanish completely;
- Sprinkle a little pepper on your hands and put it in front of your nose, you just need sneeze and hiccup will vanish;
- Stick out your tongue for 5 seconds and repeat 5 to 6 times;
- Stick your fingers in your ears for 3 minutes then drink some sips of cold water;
- Apply two ice cubes on your pharynx;
- Open your mouth, take a deep breath, and hold for 15 seconds then exhale – repeat 5 times;
- Press your fingers on the carotid artery, lightly press then increase pressure until you feel a bit breathless, then reduce pressure. Repeat 5 times.
2. Treatment for others:
- Surprise that person by slapping on his/her shoulder or scaring suddenly.
- Create a small debate to make distraction and forget hiccups.
3. Treatment for children:
- Drink small sips of water until hiccups disappear;
- Tell very funny stories so that the child guffaws and forgets hiccups;
- Tickle the child;
- Give your child a sugar spoon, hold it in his/her mouth and swallow slowly.
There are various reason leading to hiccups and you can prevent this by avoiding overeating, eating too quickly or drinking too much. However, in case of severe or persistent hiccups, you should consult a doctor.